discuss: small demo page

Subject: Re: small demo page
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 20 Aug 2005 10:38:53 -0000

Saqib Ali wrote:

>>but the real question is: do the tldp need a new way to
>>communicate between users and authors. I think personnaly

Several new ways have already been proposed and even illustrated.

>>that there is a great lack of comms here, but I know also,

Comms? Communications? Withing TLDP or from readers? I am
unsure exactly what is being meant here.

>>there is much documentation out of the ldp, now, and often
>>more up to date. tldp may be silently dying...

Some of us are working hard to keep TLDP current, to improve
usefulness and usability and to widen the scope. The very fact
that there are several HOWTO-like organisations coming up is
to me a proof of this. FAQs.org, Wikibooks and a third place
mentioned a few weeks ago are just some examples.

> i personally think TLDP as it currently exist should now retire. Most
> of the HOWTOs (including mine) are not needed anymore, since the linux
> distros and other opensource apps have started producing excellent
> documentation. Check out the documentation produced by RedHat. It is
> excellent. Same goes for Apache.

This argument comes up every now and then. My standard argument
is that the TLDP collection can be downloaded, searched and read
before downloading the applications that come with their own set
of documentation.

With names like konqueror, Soulfind and Zenwalk being the norm
it is hard to get to know what to download to find out more. That
is another reason why I proposed an overview category of documents.

> TLDP should now change their business philosophy. I would like to see
> a searchable (google-able) database of the documentations produced by
> OpenSource/Linux vendors. The readers should be able to add comments

Already proposed a long time ago. We have a cooperation with the
Linux Brochure project but once again the lack of resources has
once again meant that we have not gotten the full benefits nor a
proper integration.

Proper integration with FAQs, RFCs, TRs and more has also been
proposed years ago. Same with cooperation with Debian and Redhat
on documentation and man pages. Even SCO provides a man page
services on their web pages but after more than 10 years TLDP
still have not found the resources to do so.

> and provide feedback and sample code to each topic, much like what
> mySQL does.
>
> Any thoughts?

The situation is probably quite clear to most people here. There
is a lot of work ahead. I like to think I am pulling my weight.
Many others work hard too. Still, we need a lot of new people here.

I am not giving up.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen