discuss: small demo page

Subject: Re: small demo page
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 20 Aug 2005 02:35:00 -0000

> *) Program Library HOWTO
> *) Advanced Bash Scripting Guide
> *) NFS-howto
> *) NIS-howto
> *) Text-Terminal-HOWTO

I am sure these are excellent and well-written HOWTOs.

But I think the face of information management is changing. I have
some experience in this area.

When people download XYZ application, they gunzip it and look for the
README or INSTALL files. I have rarely seen anyone go out and look for
an HOWTO on install an application. Having said that, if there are
issues during the install, people go out and search the Usenet or
FAQs, where they probably find the answer. If all else fails, they go
ahead and join a mailinglist / support group / usenet and discuss
their problems (technical and otherwise :) ).

I have seen the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide, and I think it can be
converted to an FAQ, which can be stored in a FAQ management system,
for easier access.

People don't just read HOWTOs. They don't have time. They want quick
fix. They want an FAQ entry which relates to their problems. If they
have time, they purchase books and read about the topic in detail.

Just my $.02.

--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali