discuss: small demo page

Subject: Re: small demo page
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 21:16:32 -0000

jdd wrote:

> Pradeep Padala wrote:
>
>> Right, but how are we going to publish the howtos? Just as a single
>> HTML or multiple pages with comments on each page? If this is allowed,
>> are we going to throw away SGML? If we do, what about PDF, PS ...
>> generation?

Supporting multiple formats is important. HTML and plain text
seems trivial, not sure about PS and PDF.

> editing the HOWTO directly would be good if we had a backend
> mediawiki<->docbook, what we have not.

Conversion will likely incur a lot of lossage, moreso for
conversion to DocCook than LinuxDoc. Even so also LinuxDoc
conversion will have lossage like indexing tags.

> the wiki can only be an additional entry, not a panacea.

No matter the form or format of entry, a source for multiple
output formats were always a goal. Invisible markup will be a
problem, especially for those that believe in the semantic web.

> media wiki have a small but still better than text (:-) image include
> capability.

I feel illustrations should be used sparsingly in dcuments that
after all should work well in plain ascii.

> but the real question is: do the tldp need a new way to communicate
> between users and authors. I think personnaly that there is a great lack
> of comms here, but I know also, there is much documentation out of the
> ldp, now, and often more up to date. tldp may be silently dying...

Rapid user feedback is what makes this approach interesting to me.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen