discuss: TLDP and WIkipedia

Subject: Re: TLDP and Wikipedia
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 19 Aug 2005 06:31:00 -0000

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 12:09:52AM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> Pseudonymous users are also a problem. Also registering
> goes against the spirit of wikis, moreso verifying users.

I would support registration and verifying users.  I think people who
write should both get credit and be accountable.  Thus it should be
known who they are.  If LDP had someone with enough time to manage a
wiki system (and likely write code for it too), and if the details of
the system were well worked out, then I would support it.  But that
doesn't seem to be the case right now.

On wikipedia, I started to read about some topics that I know about
and found too many errors.  But there is no accountability.  I tried
to correct one major error and even explained why in the discussion,
but my change was rejected.  My little experience with it hasn't been
very favorable.  Accountability is going to be hard to implement since
there should be a quick way to check on who wrote what and when.

When I read a sentence that I think is wrong, I would like to be able
to find out by clicking who wrote it and when and email the author a
note.  This is possible with howtos (unless there are joint authors).
Contacting the person who made an error can sometimes help that person
become a better writer.  First, it is punishment in a way since it
takes up the author's time and is also indirectly criticism.  The
author should appreciate this "punishment" since errors that remain in
a work are worse punishment since more people will find the error in
the future.  Second, the author may analyze how the mistake came about
and take steps to avoid similar mistakes in the future.