discuss: part of the review?

Subject: Re: part of the review?
From: Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jul 2001 01:02:51 -0000

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, ####@####.#### wrote:

> Guys (I'm presumming no ladies - please correct me if i'm wrong
>   :)....

You're wrong. :-) Fortunately.

> It sounds me like LinuxDoc and DocBook haven't got much
>   difference.  But this indecision etc is going to bite you worse
>   then chosing the wrong one..

They are very different in several things. This is why this discussion
keep coming and going...

> Just chose say DocBook, and then use the saved efforts of saying
> which is better, into making tools which make is easy to use.

That's not the problem. There are already some tools that convert from
LinuxDoc to DocBook. The problem is that you can't express everything
correctly. Imagine that you say this is a "computer" and we say this
is a "computer screen". In your vocabulary, you're saying that the
whole thing is one component and in ours we're saying that a computer
is composed of several parts (screen, disks, keyboard, mouse, etc.).

> Longer tags etc?  Well write an app which is very simply a text
> editor with syntax highlighting (just pinch the code from 101 other
> such programs) then add a sidebar which lists all the tags (with
> tips of each), (perhaps filtering for only common ones - or have
> tabs for <simple/common> <advanced/obscure> and have the editor to
> do basic checking of the format.  Package it up with everything the
> user needs, and distribute that.  If you have any other complaints
> about docbook, well throw in a solution to that also.

It already exists. Emacs does that. But again, this is not the
problem. The problem is the completness of the description. Saying
that a computer screens is a computer, isn't wrong. But it isn't wrong
saying that only a computer screen isn't a computer. (I think I'm
going to confuse you more...).

> If you spent the same amount time doing this as writing emails
> saying which is better, it would be done by now :)

It's done. It exists. So we can write e-mails? :-\ No. I don't think
so. I agree with you that we have to go for more productive things and
now, discussing this is one thing that we need to do.

I just wanted that everybody could sit and write down arguments on
both sides, list advantages and disadvantages of both DTDs. It should
help a little...

> Btw, guys.. you are all doing a fantastic job :)

Thanks! :-))
It's nice to hear that we're going in the right direction... :-) At
least, it's nice to know that we aren't lost alone :-)))

--

Desenvolvimento de Soluções         --          Solutions Development
Conectiva S.A     -    www.conectiva.com.br     -   +55 (41) 360-2600
Conectiva Inc.    -    www.conectiva.com        -   +55 (41) 360-2600