discuss: Review process

Subject: Re: Review process
From: folajimi ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2005 12:11:17 -0000

> I am currently compiling a list.  Part of them are in the unmaintained
> section (http://www.tldp.org/authors/unmaint.html), that
> should be checked out.  Each document there should be considered: is it
> still useful, can it be updated or do we archive it for good?
> Can the author be contacted?  If so, does s/he agree to have somebody else
> update his work, will s/he cooperate, does the license allow for a simple
> takeover if the author can not be contacted, or do we have to rewrite the
> document?
> If you are interested in checking out a specific document in this section,
> please contact me.  Checking out does not mean you have to take over.  We
> can split up the tasks.  First of all what is most important now is decide
> what to do with these documents.  We will need technical people to check
> validity and people who make contact with the authors if it is decided to
> revive the document.  In that case, we will start looking for a new
> author, if the initial volunteer does not feel like doing the actual
> takeover.
>
> Apart from the Unmaintained list, I am making a list of all documents that
> have not been updated this year, from the HOWTO INDEX
> (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html).  I will contact the
> authors and check what their plans are.  I hope that pinging authors on a
> regular basis will encourage them to update their documents, or find
> somebody else to do it, or archive documents that are really too old.
> Time for some cleanup.  I realize this might bring on a lot of work, so
> get ready, it's cleanup time :)

Some recent correspondence on unmaintained documents that you may find
informative is attached to this message.

JA

folajimi wrote:

>Good day:
>
>I recently contacted Mr. Drew Eckhardt, the author of 'The Linux SCSI HOWTO.'
>Apparently, he has not had any involvement with the document (or the project)
>since 1996. I would like to know if there is any need to revise the document.

SCSI development has changed a lot in Linux since 1996. So there
definitely a need for updates to that document

>If there is a need for revising this document, are there any efforts underway
>for such an update? At any rate, please let me know if I may be of any
>assistance on this matter.

You can take over  maintenance of the document and publish further
revisions if you are interested in that. I would expect such a document
to cover new ground in terms of the Linux 2.6 releases

regards
Rahul

______________________
http://lists.tldp.org/

folajimi wrote:
> Mr. Gonzato:
>
> My name is Jimi Ayodele, and I am interested in volunteering with the
> documentation efforts of the Linux Documentation Project (LDP.) There are two
> unmaintained documents that you authored which I would like to revise.
>
> The documents in question are the 'DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO' and
> 'Configuration HOWTO.' Please let me know what actions need to be taken before
> making any revisions to these documents.

hello Jimi,

I was already contacted by other kind people who wanted to take over. You
should contact the LDP coordinator, I'm not aware of the current status of my
howtos; http://www.tldp.org/mailinfo.html

Thank you very much for your interest!

Ciao,
      Guido =8-)

--
Guido Gonzato, Ph.D. <guido dot gonzato at univr dot it> - Sysadmin
Universita' di Verona (Italy), Servizi Informatici di Ateneo