discuss: Review process

Subject: Re: Review process
From: folajimi ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2005 15:41:31 -0000

Good day,

> I'm going to revive the ####@####.#### list and do some serious
> distribution of tasks.  There are currently some works waiting because I
> do not have time to do it all.

I would like to help out; but I DO need you to tell me exactly what you would
have me do.

> So, if you are willing to volunteer with reviewing, please join the
> editors mailinglist and state what your competences are:
>
> * Style and Language review
> * Grammar and Spelling review
> * Technical review

I'm capable of the first two; I'm a linux user, so I don't know how helpful I
can be with the last one.

> Reviewing does not take a lot of time and does not need to be a permanent,
> continuous commitment.  You can be a reviewer for a couple of days per
> year.  Also, you do not need to be an expert on the matter that you are
> reviewing.  Some afinity and a willingness to try some things out is
> usually enough to make it technically consistent.

That's very nice to know! When can I start? :)

> So come on guys, help me out here, I'm waiting for you.

I've been waiting for you. :)

> Currently, these documents need reviewing:
>
> - - Linux DVD Ripping HOWTO by Timo Benk

I can't find the above document online; what information provided by google
suggests that *you* offered to review it about a fortnight ago:

--snip--
--snip--

I'm willing to help out with reviewing the guide if you could send me a copy.

> - - Oracle 9i under Fedora Core 3 - Installation HOWTO by Gaurav

Sorry; I'd really like to help with this one, but I use gentoo. :)

> - - Linux Aviation HOWTO by Nicolas Dufour

This one sounds interesting, but what I found online suggests that only pilots
can contribute. Perhaps I misinterpreted the synopsis. If I can be of service,
please let me know.

> - - Quake HOWTO by Steven Atkinson

I'm not really into games, but if there is anyway I could help with this guide,
please let me know. (FWIW, the only HOWTO I could find on the subject was
authored by Bob Zimbinski, and was obsolete.)

> Plus there are a lot of older documents in need of updates, either by
> contacting the authors or by taking them over.

I tried adopting an unmaintained guide, but it is too much work for me (as a
newbie.) If anyone is familiar with what updates need to be made to the SCSI
HOWTO, please let me know.

> Please note that you need to be subscribed to the ####@####.#### list
> before you can post to it.

Done.