discuss: Proposal for revised license and license requirements.

Subject: Re: Proposal for revised license and license requirements.
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jun 2005 10:57:21 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

> PS: This topic has been discussed previously, but no resoluting has
> ever been reached.
>
> While I support the right of an author (in some cases) to not allow
> modification without the author's consent, what about the case where
> the document needs revision and author can't be located?  I think our
> manifesto needs to be changed to require that any license must allow
> modification if the author can't be located after searching on the
> Internet.

I understand the problems and agree on the problems with advertising
also mentioned earlier. License and copyright discussion never seem
to resolve. Perhaps that is a more general rule, Debian has also been
troubled by this and no resolution in sight there either.

Instead I would like to apply the book metaphor as a solution: the
author writes the contents and the publisher takes care of the
covers, blurb, distribution and more, somewhat how TLDP operates.
So when a document needs updates but the author cannot be located,
would it then be possible for TLDP, like a publisher, to attach an
errata sheet with the original document?

TLDP will hopefully soon implement the categorising which also is
part of the attachment to the document. A simple front cover would
be useful, with features like
  - status of document (Guide/HOWTO, recent/old, new/established...)
  - status of author (active, inactive, whereabouts not known)
  - classifications and categories
  - related documents
  - ranking, if we feel it would not be too controversial.
  - links to document in several formats (HTML, PDF, ...)
  - links for sending in feedback
  - errata/comments, possibly Wiki-comments

Hopefully this solution will let us avoid changing the license.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen