discuss: Reg. Threads FAQ

Subject: Re: Reg. Threads FAQ
From: Sripathi Kodi ####@####.####
Date: 28 Apr 2005 10:02:52 -0000

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Sripathi Kodi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am very interested in taking up the ownership of the unmaintained
>> "Linux Threads FAQ" (http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Threads-FAQ/). I am ready
>> to start the work right away, please let me know if I can go ahead.
 >
> Its a nice idea but It probably helps to have a good HOWTO on this
> topic.  The updated FAQ can be just a part of this.  Please consider
> doing this. We already a number of documents explaining  NPTL external
> to LDP which you can use as references
>
> Announcement: http://lwn.net/Articles/10465/
> Whitepaper: http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf
> Migration: http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6753699732.html
>
> Other than bringing in this material into LDP can you try and provide a
> more detailed outline of what you plan to work on?

Rahul,

Thanks for your comments. As you have mentioned, there are articles
explaining the external design of NPTL, so I know that it is not greatly
useful to bring the same information to LDP. I don't want to make it a
pthread programming manual as well, because such manuals are available.
I am concerned that a HOWTO in this area will fall into either of these
two categories.

What I had in my mind was to retain this as a FAQ and addresses specific
questions about threaded programs on Linux. By doing this, I think I
will be able to address specialities and idiosyncrasies of using threads
on Linux. (One good example is signal handling in LinuxThreads package.)
This will let me address a niche area. Of course, it will still have
basic information like threading models available on Linux, compiling
thread support with glibc, flavors of thread packages available, kernel
support for threads, etc. Depending on the interest it generates, I may
include more advanced topics like internal design details of NPTL. May
be I will then make it a HOWTO.

I am still open to the idea of making this a HOWTO if my current
thoughts are not very helpful for a FAQ. Please let me know what you
think about my thoughts above.

Thanks and regards,
Sripathi.