discuss: Free Documentation Definition

Subject: Free Documentation Definition
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2001 21:38:33 -0000

If we are to segregate our docs into free and non-free sections, we
need to have some criteria to determine what is free and what is
non-free.  Personally, I don't think we should go ahead with such
segregation although it would be nice to put the docs into categories
depending on the license.  For example, how many are licensed under the
old LDP license, how many used GPL or GFDL, etc.

But if we are to go ahead with such segregation then I've written a
definition as to what I think constitutes free documentation.  The
boundary line between free and non-free is not clearly deliniated.  In
my opinion it is inherently a fuzzy boundary and is subject to the
interpretation of whoever is sorting out the licenses.  I've included
protecting the rights of the public from abuse.  Here's the draft:
		FREE DOCUMENTATION DEFINITION
		  ****Draft Version 0.0****
	      by David S. Lawyer, July 12, 2001

A free copyrighted document (doc) must have a license that gives
anyone the right to freely and responsibly do the following: copy,
distribute, display, and modify the doc (including derived works),
provided that these rights are not abused to the detriment of the
public.  Here are the ways which these rights given by the license may
(or must) be restricted so as to protect the public (and to a lesser
degree, the author):
REQUIREMENTS:

1. Distribution: The following must be freely available to the public
  (and such availability must be easy to find out about):
a. a transparent (defined later) copy
b. a transparent source document (such as in SGML, XML, HTML) if
  it exists

2. Derived work: The license for such a work must be restricted
 to a license (or a choice of licenses) which meet the requirements
 of this "Free Documentation Definition"
OPTIONAL allowed restrictions for free documents:

1. Copying:  All (or some) copying may be required to be transparent.

2. Displaying and Derived works:  Advertising may be restricted,
including the display of the doc with advertising.  Extraneous
materials may be restricted (like advertising).  Such extraneous
materials includes religious and political statements.   But
statements supporting free software and/or documentation are not to be
unreasonably restricted.

3. Distribution: Clear labeling may be required if:
a. The doc is an out-of-date version, or
b. The doc is being sold and many potential purchasers are not aware that
 the doc is available free of charge.

4. Derived works: If this represents a significant improvement, it may
be required that a good faith effort be made to put the derived work
on the Internet for free distribution.

Modification may be prohibited unless there is a good reason to modify
the doc for the benefit of the public.  Good reasons to permit
modification include:
a. The doc is not being adequately maintained
b. The license has been changed to a non-free one
c. Software changes call for immediate modification of the doc

An attempt to timely contact the author(s) about any significantly
modified derived work may be required.
Other Restrictions:  Other than the restrictions mentioned above, no
other restrictions are allowed.  The license may not contain a
termination clause.

Definition: A "Transparent" copy is an electronic copy of a document
which is in a format commonly used in the free software community and
may be both viewed and converted to other formats using free software.
Plain text is also "transparent".  Technical means may not be used for
the purpose of restricting its viewing, copying, or modification.