discuss: document categories

Subject: Re: document categories
From: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag ####@####.####
Date: 14 Apr 2005 17:36:58 -0000

On 05/04/14 02:16 +0100, Martin Wheeler said ...
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag wrote:
>
> >IMO, this information should go into the volunteer list page that we
> >already have.  Martin, can you collect and maintain this data on a page
> >on your own servers till we get it to a state where it can be hosted on
> >tldp.org (like we have Dave Horton's page for the volunteer description
> >pages)?
>
> The fully searchable database engine is now operational at:
>
>      http://startext.demon.co.uk/tldp/

Thanks for doing this Martin :-) this is a cool resource of immediate
use even for the review co-ordinators.

> Please folks, go fill in your details as soon as poss.

I was able to access this a few hours ago, but now it complains that
chaucer.startext.demon.co.uk could not be found.

> >>Name of the person - Subject cathegories for which they are expert -
> >>availability, expressed in hours/month, for instance.
>
> I decided not to include availability, as the principal purpose of the
> database is to get an idea of who can do what -- *not* how long they can
> spend on it (important as this information may be from an administrative
> point of view).  We can always add this sort of information later.

Agreed.

> >This information should be public, someone who would like to send any
> >additions, modification, patches to the said category documents to the
> >subject volunteers should be able to do so.
>
> Absolutely.
> And what is more, I hope the database does not restrict itself to only
> those who write for the LDP.

I am not sure if *that* is true.  Some people may not be too keen on
contributing outside The LDP.

Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag