discuss: TimeSys Linux Install mini HOWTO

Subject: Re: TimeSys Linux Install mini HOWTO
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 8 Apr 2005 05:39:20 -0000

http://doc.ece.uci.edu/~tharmon/files/TimeSys-Linux-Install-mini-

> HOWTO.html

Ok. Looks good but a few questions. Red Hat 9 is a
pretty old system and the Timesys homepage talks about
2.6 kernel kits. If there are other recent versions
targetting 2.6 kernels it can be documented along with
the 2.4 version.

You have also documented specific kernel versions
included with Red Hat 9. Newer updates which fix
security issues is available with fedoralegacy.org.
Will the timesys modifications work with that kernel
or are these security issues totally irrelevant to a
realtime system

It is generally recommended to keep modifications
rebuild into rpms for any rpm based system.

if its a kernel source patch a rebuild can be done
using rpmbuild -ba kernel-version.srpm. have you tried
using this. Does Timesys provide any prepackaged
binary kernel with their modifications merged into it

The GNU FDL license should be included inline with any
document licensed under it. I suspect that the license
would be bigger than the document. If this is a
problem for you consider using the Creative commons
attribution share alike license. The recommended way
is to have a plain English description within the
document and linking to the legalese on their homepage

Regards
Rahul Sundaram

Yahoo! Messenger