discuss: Proposal: Kernel Tunable Parameters

Subject: Proposal: Kernel Tunable Parameters
From: Jim Lieb ####@####.####
Date: 7 Apr 2005 23:27:48 -0000

  A client of ours contracted with me to write a document titled
"Linux Kernel Tuning Parameters".  It is a reference for all of the
tuning parameters available in the kernel as of version 2.4.22.  This
document has been part of their product and support documentation
for about a year.  It has gone through their review process.

 They have engaged me again to update it to 2.6.11 and to facilitate
releasing it to the community.  This is in DocBook format and currently
numbers ~35 pages.  Its contents cover /proc/sys (and sysctl) and
the kernel and module boot/load parameters.  The new revision will
add the sysfs interface and expand the other sections to include both
2.6 and additional architectures beyond ia64 and some x86.

  The motivation for the original and current projects has been to bring
the documentation up to date and consolidate it in one place.  The
target audience is anyone who needs to tune the running kernel.  In
addition, one of my project goals was to get the XML format issues
settled so I and other authors can devote most of our effort to
adding/updating content.

  I would like to have this document reviewed by the community with
the goal of adding it to either the LDP or the ./Documentation directory
alongside the current DocBook for the kernel interfaces.  It could also
replace some of the original but dated text documents on the same
topics and provide an already defined XML framework for other authors
to add content to without having to hassle with creating the XML first.

  I have not included the book as an attachment to this inquiry email
until I have been directed to the appropriate maintainers/reviewers who
can help get it reviewed and accepted.

Details:
* Copyright owner is Hewlett Packard
* I am the original author and will write the 2.6 update.
* I will accept the review comments and do the editing but can make
  the XML source available to anyone who offers to fill out missing
  sections such as non-Intel architectures.  I will then merge their work.
* It is licensed thru GPL v2 or later.
* It is in DocBook XML and builds under the current docbook utilities
  in Fedora Core/RH9/Debian.  The files are in their own subdirectory
  with build README.

Regards,

Jim
--