discuss: Proposal Performance HOWTO

Subject: Proposal Performance HOWTO
From: Patrice Neff ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2005 22:52:59 -0000

Hi,

I've been pondering a HOWTO on Web server performance tuning in the
past weeks, because I've been doing some work in that area lately. As
far as I've seen, there is nothing like that, yet. I could only find
the benchmarking HOWTO. Benchmarking would only be covered slightly in
this Performance HOWTO (basically only HTTP and MySQL specific stuff).

The outline would be something like this:

- System Health
  - System Tools (uptime, top, free, vmstat)
  - Monitoring (probably MRTG and Cacti)
  - Benchmarking
- Operating system (Linux configuration)
- Web server (Apache configuration, alternative Web servers such as
  lighthttpd)
- PHP (Configuration, accelerators)
- Database (MySQL configuration, memcached, SQL optimizations)
- Application specific (mainly thinking of caching implementations)

What's your feedback about that?

Patrice

--
the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation
through faith in Christ Jesus.                    (2 Timothy 3:15)