discuss: LinuxDoc vs. DocBook (was Re: Staff Election)

Subject: Re: LinuxDoc vs. DocBook (was Re: Staff Election)
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2005 16:08:52 -0000

Binh Nguyen wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I think its about time we got this issue sorted out once and for all.

I hope you can apply that successfully to the never ending
discussions on copyrights and licenses.

> As far as I know the only person who 'currently' wishes to use LD is
> David Lawyer. The rest are DB or are sitting on the fence. Like Rahul

Really. Have you looked? Selective memory? I use LinuxDoc both
currently, 'currently', "currently" and whatever other forms you
wish to express its currentness in.

When David Lawyer expresses his desire to keep LinuxDoc I see
no reason to add a "me too". Considering all the tools and
prototypes I have made for and with LinuxDoc that I have
announced here and the technical defences I have made in the past
I do wonder if there is any point since so many seem to
forget it whenever they feel the urge to push for DocBook.

Note that I am not attempting to prevent you from using
DocBook so please do not try to make life hard for us who
prefer to use LinuxDoc.

> I'm not too fond of having of seeing the same conversation over and
> over again. Also, the adoption of a single format should theoretically

Noone forces you to join in on that conversation. I try to
avoid them but once people try to construct a proof of lack
from lack of proof I have to protest.

> make it easier for writers and editors alike by not placing too much
> of an impetus for people to learn about each before proceeding to
> write.

Considering there are tools for converting LinuxDoc to numerous
other formats I cannot see how editors can be troubled. Nor have
I seen writes have much problems with LinuxDoc.

The single format idea is not a theory, it is not even an hypothesis.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen