discuss: HOWTO on Open Source Databases

Subject: RE: HOWTO on Open Source Databases
From: Vikas Singhal ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2005 10:52:36 -0000

Hi Saqib,
Thanks for your feedback.
I proposed the idea of documenting the HOWTO to the list on Mar 23 and I
received a go-ahead from Rahul (see the attached mail).
As I have already started working on this HOWTO, I am really concerned about
the hard-work I am putting-in.
Please advice me if it is possible to make this HOWTO a version specific
(for all the databases).

I don't feel that there would be enough content to create a HOWTO
differentiating among various open sources DBs. I guess it would look more
as whitepaper.

If you still feel that it won't be a good idea to work on this HOWTO, I will
really appreciate suggestions on a new HOWTO to work on.

Regards,
-Vikas

--- Vikas Singhal ####@####.#### wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am a doc writer with an experience of more than
> three years. I want to
> contribute to the Linux Documentation Project.
>
> While going through the list of documents that are
> currently not maintained,
> I observed that there exist no HOWTO for open source
> databases.
>
> There is a proposal on a HOWTO on open source
> databases.
>
> Proposed HOWTO: Open Source Databases for Linux
> Brief-up: The document will explain installation and
> configuration of
> various open source databases, such as MySQL,
> PostgreSQL, MaxDB, and
> Firebird, on Linux platform. This document will also
> provide comparison
> among these databases. This will not be a very
> detailed manual but an
> overview and will provide pointers for further
> information.
> Please let me know if someone is working on this kind of document

no. you are welcome to write it.  Please post further
discussions on the discuss list for peer reviews. you
can read the LDP faq and authors guide for more
details on the process

Regards
Rahul Sundaram

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250