discuss: TLDP CD

Subject: TLDP CD
From: roach ####@####.####
Date: 21 Mar 2005 00:24:36 -0000

Hi,

I've unfortunately been too busy to pay sufficient attention to this
mailinglist lately. Bad move. I now find myself with a folder with 724
messages from this list alone (didn't someone say this was a reasonably quiet
list) and no idea whats important or urgent.

Anyway to the point of this post.

I tried a couple of days ago to, again, get a clear idea of whats happening on
the tldp.org website so that I can progress to my goal of a reasonably
complete mirror on CD.

I'd given up on my original idea of using bash scripts to chart out the
website and used a Perl script I got off the net. It ran for 16 hours until I
gave up and went back to plan A (I do still have to do other work on my PC).

I can though report that the problems I've noted with tldp.org are far more
widespread than originally thought and a lot more complicated. This has in
turn raised more questions in my mind that I hope someone on this list can
answer.

1. Bad links in docs: can we fix them (site maintenance) or is it up to the
author.
2. Why are the PDF files not optimised.
3. Are they unoptimised for site search purposes.
4. Who creates/maintains them.
5. LG, LGNET, LinuxFocus: Why aren't all 3 mirrors on the same level in the
website.
6. Is there any objection to me contacting the respective site maintainers
about bad links and redundant files.

Finally:

There appears to be no policy or guidelines on what parts of the TLDP are
written to CD and still make it a TLDP CD. Would it be helpful if I wrote a
HOWTO.

Maybe, "I really want to give a copy of TLDP to my friends, family, cousins,
in-laws and out-laws but it just wont fit on a CD HOWTO".

I'm obviously open to suggestions for another title. :-)

Draft outline:

1. Disclaimer or everythings your fault
2. Introduction
3. Basics of setting up your mirror
4. rsync or "Don't panic!", it's supposed to do that
5. TLDP on DVD
6. TLDP on CD
7. TLDP on mini-CD
8. Suggested reading