discuss: WIKI (fwd)

Subject: Re: WIKI (fwd)
From: Edward Cherlin ####@####.####
Date: 17 Mar 2005 18:17:16 -0000

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 06:20, David Horton wrote:
> [...]

I agree that I wouldn't want my HOWTO edited directly by just
anybody while my name remains on it. But I would love to have a
structure containing the latest versions of the docs (read-only)
together with a structured space for comments and additions, so
that I could decide which ones to incorporate and when. This
would be a great help to me, and an even bigger help if I had to
hand off the work to someone else. It would also help us deal
with seriously out-of-date or abandoned HOWTOs.

It would make sense, IMHO, to divide each HOWTO into topic and
subtopic pages, and to create editable Wiki pages for each
significant term in the HOWTO, preferably in a mostly automated
way. Many such pages would remain stubs, but all would be
available for work. We could also use the Wikipedia system of
having a discussion behind each page. Their disambiguation pages
are also worth a look. We would certainly need one for
IP--Internet Protocol vs. Intellectual Property. ^_^

> > > --Dave
> >
> > Dave,
> >

> > Not even with write access denied?
> >
> > --
> > Godoy.
>
> If a wiki has no write access then isn't it just a mirror?

Judicious application of write access could give us the best of
both. The whole concept needs further discussion, of course.
--
Edward Cherlin, Simputer Evangelist
Encore Technologies (S) Pte. Ltd.