discuss: Webstat Software

Subject: Re: Webstat Software
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 12 Mar 2005 22:00:35 -0000

Binh Nguyen wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:00:11 +0100, Stein Gjoen ####@####.#### wrote:

[snip]

>>TARPL has also a web analyser, not yet that polished though.
>>It was mentioned some time ago, what did you think of it?
>>        http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/sample.html

[snip]

> Hi Stein,
>
> Really neat :) not completely sure how to read it though. That graph
> down the left hand side has me a bit muddled....

If you look in the archives you will find a more detailed
description of what it all means. I hope to find the time
to write a manual for the thing. Briefly:
  - pale blue coloured columns: colour just to keep track of column
  - top line: entries into web pages being analysed
  - columns: distributions of where hits go next
  - beige diagonal: self referral, that is this page ws read after reading
the same page, most likely a reload
  - bottom green line: exits from web pages
  - rightmost column: names of web pages
    - grey background: OK
    - pink background: 404 page not found

All this means is that you can see how people traverse a set of
web pages. I hoped we could analyse TLDP hits, that would probably
require a huge sheet of paper.

All this is generated from a little awk script from Apache logs.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen