discuss: Debian-free licenses was Re: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: Debian-free licenses was Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2005 20:54:38 -0000

Quoting Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####

> I dont call this easy really.

I _did_ say easiER.  ;->  And I was being, as mentioned, slightly
facetious.

> Authors shouldnt have to become a debian maintainer just to know
> whether their documents are acceptable to debian or not.

Just to make sure we're clear on this:  Absent unlikely situations such
as licence conflict that would preclude inclusion entirely, the only
consequence would be uncertainty over whether the documents would go
into main (/ non-US/main) versus non-free.

> The number of people who have access to the net to download non-free
> documents is significantly lower than the number of people who can
> copy a CD in my region.

This is quibbling a bit, but just for the sake of completeness:  The
Official Debian CD images are hardly the only way to install Debian.
In fact, I maintain a list of dozens of such ways.  See:  "Installers"
on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian

For example, the Libranet 2.8.1 ISO includes quite a number of packages
classified as non-free, and yet is freely redistributable.[1]  It's a
perfectly fine installer (if you're on IA32) that is highly compatible
with Debian 3.0/sarge.  (I am not saying any of the packages deemed
non-free consist solely of documentation; I'm just citing Libranet to
illustrate the general point that there are other highly satisfactory
ways to install Debian other than Official Debian ISOs.)

[1] See:  "Libranet Licensing" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian