discuss: Debian-free licenses was Re: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: Debian-free licenses was Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2005 20:41:08 -0000

Hi

> Ah, now _that's_ an easier problem, and can be
> resolved procedurally:
>
> 1.  Convince a maintainer to submit a package.
> 2.  Observe which collection he puts it in.  Make
> sure you wait for
>     any subsequent NMU (non-maintainer update) or
> administrative action
>     that changes that.
> 3.  Repeat.

I dont call this easy really. Authors shouldnt have to
become a debian maintainer just to know whether their
documents are acceptable to debian or not.

> It's not really that bad a situation.  The worst
> that's likely[1] to
> happen is that some package ends up in a different
> collection from the
> one you expected.

The number of people who have access to the net to
download non-free documents is significantly lower
than the number of people who can copy a CD in my
region. Its makes a big difference in availability.
You can ignore it as a third world problem or you can
address it properly. I would of course prefer the latter

Regards
Rahul Sundaram