discuss: Debian-free licenses was Re: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: Debian-free licenses was Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2005 20:16:40 -0000

Quoting Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####

> it should be trivially simple to check this up IMO.
> Debian definitely should have a authoratitive list of
> licenses that it considers "free"

You may recall you and I discussing this exact point, here, in April 2004:
It was (and is) my contention that Debian lacks any authoritative list
-- and that one would be well advised to check skeptically the basis of
the claimed or implied authority for any such list that someone might post.

> if finding out which licenses Debian would include in its free
> repository involved reading such documents and infering from it our
> own opinions then its too complex for me.

Ah, now _that's_ an easier problem, and can be resolved procedurally:

1.  Convince a maintainer to submit a package.
2.  Observe which collection he puts it in.  Make sure you wait for
    any subsequent NMU (non-maintainer update) or administrative action
    that changes that.
3.  Repeat.

I'm being only a tiny bit facetious.  See below.

> Your answers are not the problem but the situation definitely is.

It's not really that bad a situation.  The worst that's likely[1] to
happen is that some package ends up in a different collection from the
one you expected.  As Doug said in the 2004 discussion -- back when he
agreed with my point -- the decision isn't whimsical:  A Debian
developer is required to apply DFSG to the decision, and that decision
is subject if necessary to correction via others' NMUs, etc.

[1] Some software doesn't get accepted for even the non-free collection
because it's judged to be not possible for Debian to lawfully
redistribute, e.g., on account of licence conflict.  That could likewise
happen to documentation, in theory.