discuss: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?

Subject: Re: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2005 18:17:30 -0000

Mathieu Deschamps wrote:

> David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:

[big snip]

> Note that our HOWTO generator for people to type HOWTOs online generates
> LinuxDoc. I think that if we made it easier for new authors: LinuxDoc
> and a one-page Author Guide, we would have many more new authors. All
> the time reviewers spent helping people with DocBook could have been
> better spent on recruiting new authors, etc.
>

> * This is so true. But I don't know if a HOWTO generator is the only single solution. I'am *always very... what's the feeling ... unsafe with single-way-fixed-structure-thing.

As I made clear in the thread on the model of TLDP the generator
is not the only single solution: there are also templates to
choose from. The history behind these:
  - first I wrote my Multi Disk HOWTO
  - from this HOWTO I extracted headings and sample text
   and made the Big HOWTO Template
  - this Template was reworked into the Generator.

Thus the Generator is not single-way.
Since the Generator offers numerous opportunities of
selection and customisation it is not fixed-structure either.

This history ensures the Templates and the Generator are real
world solutions that work. The Generator has of course been
tested with a sample run through the entire tool chain.

Regards,

    Stein Gjoen