discuss: MoreTLDP Job Descriptions

Subject: Re: MoreTLDP Job Descriptions
From: Mathieu Deschamps ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2005 17:59:27 -0000

I' am on the same idea precisely and you have partly answered. So when an author give up (what's in the name BTW) his doc what responsibilities still encombs to him ? Not more maintaining for sure so why mentionning in that statement since he give it up ? Do you see what I mean ? Up to a point it seems compulsary to publish...

Maybe it is too bad to do this but after all there could be many good reasons (voluntarian engagement included) an author to leave his doc unmaintained, let's say a part-time author is busy for a while...

mathdesc

Jorge Godoy ####@####.#### wrote:

Mathieu Deschamps writes:

> This is a concrete step forward. However when you write "Authors are
> responsible for creating documentation and maintaining the documentation they
> write.", is this meaning that no other writer than the doc's original writer
> is allowed to maintain it ? If so this is raising a thorny problem, even more
> when you think authoring is build upon volunteering.

If the original author doesn't give up on the document, why should somebody
else make huge modifications to it? It is the same process that happens with
software: the maintainer -- author, original author, creator, etc. -- decides
what goes in and what doesn't.

Until the author gives up on his work, I believe he is responsible for its
maintenance. Be it accepting and selecting patches, be it writing updated
information himself.

Why do you think it would be a problem?

--
Godoy.