discuss: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?

Subject: Re: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?
From: Mathieu Deschamps ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2005 17:35:45 -0000

David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:
On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:34:04AM +0000, Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Martin Wheeler wrote:
>
> > Can we make this offical policy, someone, please?
> > And indicated as such on the website?
>
> The Author Guide, which imho counts as the official policy, discourages
> LinuxDoc because it only talks about DocBook.
> If we had the resources, we could convert LinuxDoc documents to DocBook,
> but we do not have those resources. Apart from that, certain stubborn
> people (and we don't look at David L. ;-) keep using LinuxDoc and until
> they have seen the light, I'd rather keep them contributing instead of
> seeing those people walk away from TLDP.

Note that our HOWTO generator for people to type HOWTOs online generates
LinuxDoc. I think that if we made it easier for new authors: LinuxDoc
and a one-page Author Guide, we would have many more new authors. All
the time reviewers spent helping people with DocBook could have been
better spent on recruiting new authors, etc.

* This is so true. But I don't know if a HOWTO generator is the only single solution. I'am *always very... what's the feeling ... unsafe with single-way-fixed-structure-thing.

> We had this kind of discussion many times before, please check the
> archives before thinking that you can add any new components.
>
> As I see it, it's a historical fact that we have to live with, for now.
> If anything, we should focus here on a LinuxDoc2DocBook converter, rather
> than argue about it.
Also needed is a converter to go the other way: DocBook2LinuxDoc.

David Lawyer

http://lists.tldp.org/

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail