discuss: MoreTLDP Job Descriptions

Subject: Re: MoreTLDP Job Descriptions
From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2005 17:19:50 -0000

This might fit under the loose description of "technical contributor" at
least until we have a database in place.

> I know we haven't yet got a database up and running -- but then the job
> descriptions might be useful in pulling in just the right sort of person
> to actually get it going.
>
> Same goes for 'Wiki Editor' or 'Wiki Maintainer'.
>
> 'Back-list Maintainer'?  'Reader'?  'Acquisitions Editor'?  Etc.

Right now I'm working from the TLDP volunteer list
[http://www.tldp.org/vlist.html] and if there is nothing on there about
a particular role I have not created a job description for it.  Once
the initial work is done it is certainly feasible to have a "round 2"
in which we add, delete and reorganize.

> And what about the maintenance of the various scripts and programs we
> develop, produce and use?  Surely we have people doing programming work
> which could usefully be encapsulated in a job description?

Technical contributor, maybe?

> (Please not: I'm not trying to snow you under here!  I'm just trying to
> throw out ideas to cover the field as comprehensively as can be done,
> before I have to disappear off this list for ten days due to other
> commitments [huge cheers across the planet] -- but I'll be back. [Glum
> silence.])

There is a lot that can be done.  I'm hoping that if we do this as an
iterative process, starting with the way things currently exist, we can
take small steps to arrive at a proper list.  Trying to get everything
right the first time is tough.

Dave