discuss: LDP Committee?

Subject: Re: LDP Committee?
From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Mar 2005 19:25:16 -0000

[snip]

> IMHO having a formal organisation (non profit, whatever) is not worth
> the costs (human, financial etc) even if it would look better on
> paper.
>
> An election is fine. But I'd suggest we keep the same informal system.

[snip]

There is a helpful checklist in the document linked below that can help
not-for-profit organizations decide if they want to remain informal or
become a legal entity.

http://www.dal.ca/~henson/nonprofit/resources/Should_We_Incorporate.pdf

Here is an excerpt in plain text for those who don't do PDF:

(True/False)

* We are very clear about our mission and the kinds of things we want
  to do.

* The work we do is of ongoing value to the community, the organization
  is in this for the ?long haul?

* We will likely be managing funds, possibly hiring staff and renting
  office space.

* We may actively fund raise by soliciting donations, asking for
  membership fees or organizing special events.

* We want to be recognized by others as ?legitimate? which will mean
  adopting a formal structure

If you answered NO to any of these questions your group may want to
consider one of the alternatives to incorporation indicated in the
following pages. If you answered YES to all, your group will benefit
from incorporation.