discuss: TLDP Job Descriptions (draft)

Subject: Re: TLDP Job Descriptions (draft)
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 9 Mar 2005 11:23:07 -0000

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, David Horton wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have created drafts of job descriptions for the positions or author,
> reviewer and technical contributor.  Please have a look at the following
>   document:
>
> http://www.happy-monkey.net/tldp/job-descriptions.html

You did an excelent job, Dave. I really think this will be a valuable
addition.  There are a couple of details that need to be fixed, but
overall you can be proud of your work.  I suggest that somebody is
assigned to review this (I volunteer) when we have the main tasks listed.
In order to assist you, here is what I do, described in the format you
proposed, which I think is very clear:

Mirror maintainer
- -----------------
Responsibilities: The mirror maintainer edits
http://www.tldp.org/mirrors.html as new info is received via the feedback
mailinglist.  Additionally, checks are performed on a regular basis
(currently twice per year) to assure that all the parties setting up a
TLDP mirror are doing this correctly: mirrors should be in sync with the
main site, should not display different content than the main site,
contact info should be available.  When irregularities are discovered, the
mirror contact should be warned.  The mirror maintainer should provide
support to the parties mirroring TLDP.

Commitment: generally one hour per month suffices, except for the peak
load when the checks need to be performed and a lot of feedback can be
generated and must also be followed up on.  A timespan of two weeks is
usually foreseen to perform the checkups.  During this time, it might be
necessary to invest a couple of hours per week.

Qualifications: The mirror maintainer knows a bit of (static) HTML to
maintain the list, and scripting to debug or improve the check scripts.
Knowing about rsync is an additional asset.

Supervision: reports are posted regularly on the discuss mailinglist,
every month a list of new or changed mirrors is published in the TLDP
Weekly News magazine.
Training: A new mirror maintainer is encouraged to check the archives of
the feedback mailinglist in order to be informed about policies, standard
statements etc.

Policies Affecting Assignment: The mirror maintainer is assigned by the
head webmaster, account creation to access the TLDP website is done by
iBilbio.

Benefits Of The Position: The mirror maintainer helps spread the TLDP
collection all over the world.

Weekly News Editor:
- -------------------
Responsibilities: Currently there are two WN editors.  They provide news
items and each write a part of the Weekly News issues, which are based on
a DocBook template.  One of the editors is the main responsable for
publishing the weekly news on Wednesday, by committing it to CVS and apply
the procedure to insert the content on the website and in the RSS feed.

Commitment: currently one editor checks the mail archives on a weekly
basis, and collects useful information about new documents, updated
documents and documents under review.  The other editor creates summaries
of the discuss mailinglist, gets the info from the mirror maintainer, does
a spell check and publishes the WN.  This takes a couple of hours per week
from both editors.
If one of the editors is not available, (s)he informs the other one, who
then temporarily takes over the work load.

Qualifications: The editors have an interest in the goings-on at TLDP, are
fluent with the English language and can use CVS.

Supervision: The WN is published at http://www.tldp.org/ldpwn/latest.html
and is commented upon via the feedback mailinglist.

Training: Future Editors are encouraged to check the WN archives at
http://www.tldp.org/ldpwn/ in order to get an idea about the news items
that need to be published.

Policies Affecting Assignment: The current editors can assign a new
editor, so can the head webmaster.

Benefits Of The Position: Editors become very familiar with TLDP.  They
know what is living within the TLDP community and get to know the document
collection in-dept.

Feedback Monitor:
- -----------------
Responsibilities: The feedback monitor is subscribed to the feedback
mailinglist and either directly answers the messages as they are received,
or rerouts them to the appropriate place.

Commitment: On the average, 4 hours per month should certainly be enough.
However, this time should be thinly spread over the entire month, i.e. not
two hours every two weeks.

Qualifications: The feedback monitor is fluent in English and can answer
questions diplomaticly.

Supervision: All answers are posted to the feedback mailinglist for public
reference.

Training: No specific training is required.

Policies Affecting Assignment: the feedback monitor is assigned by
consensus on the discuss mailinglist.

Benefits Of The Position: The feedback monitor is part of the face of
TLDP.

We should not forget to build in a way to show which positions need
filling.  This can be an additional field for each position, or it can be
a list on the page where these positions are linked.

Tille.

- --
My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.xalasys.com
Books:				http://writers.fultus.com/garrels