discuss: where is ipnatctl??

Subject: Re: where is ipnatctl??
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jul 2001 21:34:22 -0000

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 07:08:57PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> it's a very good idea. I just spent an afternoon just to set up the
> suse personal firewall (I mixed the Suse Firewall and the
> personnal-firewall, all presents in the same 7.2 distro)
>
> I did before setup a firewall with gfcc, but nearly as a blind.
>
> I know this is only part of the security problem, but this is
> terribly hard for novices.
>
> I think it's mostly hard for lack of simple doc, so have a good
> work!

Good to hear from you, jdd! How oppurtune. I would be very interested
to hear specifically what problems you encountered (concepts,
terminology, etc), and what information this type of doc should
include that might have helped you.

Keep in mind that I do not think it feasible to address how individual
distros handle their respective installations and initial
configurations. This changes so much with each release, it would be a
never ending job.

And while I will certainly address firewalls, I doubt I will include
much on the use of the various firewall configuration tools available.
Possbily a few links to some of the better known ones. I take it that
what gfcc is? Actually, I've never heard of that one ;)

Please try to bore me with specifics ;) Also, will you consider
volunteering to proof read draft versions? I would hate to write
something that makes perfect sense to me, but misses the intended
audience.

--
Hal B