discuss: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?

Subject: Re: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?
From: "Bas v.d. Wiel" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Mar 2005 15:36:32 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:

| <snip> I guess many software projects have lead developers who
| clearly started the project and can claim some sort of ongoing
| ownership over what happens (look at Linus). AFAIK, this is not the
| case with TLDP.
|
| I understand that new TLDP members can't be given the keys to the
| castle and turn TLDP upside down, but how can the opposite extreme
| be avoided as well?
|
| Mick

This "pay" model in my mind isn't as strict as you seem to interpret
it. Just most regular foundations/associations have a small fee that
members pay just to cover running costs, it was more of an example
illustrating ways for non-profits to raise some money. Things like the
actual registration of your legal entity cost money. For example for
my privately owned business I pay a small fee to the local chamber of
commerce every year. As such my proposed entry fee for members isn't
meant as a deterrent but rather as a way to cover the costs that are
inevitable when you formalise a project by means of a legal entity.

I'm sure something similar could be cooked up without a pay-for-play
model, and frankly I hope that is what happens. However, no matter
what the end result may look like, the current state of TLDP appears
to me to be a slight disarray. There needs to be focus and an overall
plan, no matter what the preferred outcome. At present I sorely miss
such a plan in most of the postings I read here. Therefore I propose
the following for you all to criticize/amend/dismiss/ignore or do
whatever you wish:

1. What is TLDP and where do we want to be in 2 years from now?
1b. Define "we", maybe? Although that's not really essential at this
point.

2. What is the best way of getting where we want to be?

3. Which of the proposals received in reply to 2 is the most viable?

4. Devise a structured method, a plan if you will, by which 2 should
be implemented. Define roles, and get things started. From there on
the details will mostly work themselves out as long as there is a
singular goal we're all aiming for.

For now, let's start at 1.
I've only recently joined TLDP and have in my previous message
proposed a possible direction for TLDP. That of a
foundation/association with a membership based on contribution. Be
this financial or otherwise, legal entities cost money.. so that must
be found somewhere (of not from the membership, maybe a sponsor?).

Another option could be to continue along informal paths and not
bother with formal proceedings. This requires someone, or at maybe a
small (!) group of individuals to step up and sketch out a plan, as I
mentioned in my previous post and repeated above. This method actually
has my preference since it gets out a working TLDP faster.

You will always have a situation where "insiders" and "outsiders"
exist. That's also one of the consequences of actually defining
yourself as a group. Anyone who joins after the base structure was
formed, will probably feel more of an outsider compared to those who
were involved in the discussions at the time of formation. Should that
be a concern though? I don't think so. We are only even discussing
this for one single purpose: to get good Linux documentation out to
the world. I don't care how it's done, as long as it gets done right
while respecting the wishes of all volunteers who contribute. Anyone
is free to start their own project if they think they can do better.

So to rephrase: let's have a long hard look at what we have now, and
where we want to take it. After that, we can worry about details.

Kind regards to all,

Bas

PS. Don't worry, I don't usually rant this long.. ;-)

- --
Interesse in een digitale handtekening voor uw e-mail? Neem contact op!