discuss: Re: scripts? (fwd)

Subject: Re: scripts? (fwd)
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 8 Mar 2005 13:54:24 -0000

Hello everybody,

This is the reply of John, who created the ELS CDs.  I asked if he had any
scripts that he could share.  The short answer is no but he does offer the
graphics.

Tille.

- --
My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.xalasys.com
Books:				http://writers.fultus.com/garrels

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:04:24 -0700
From: jmh ####@####.####
To: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Subject: Re: scripts?

Greetings,

I wouldn't have any problems at all with that, except for the fact that
we never used any. It turned out that we didn't really need them. Since
we were doing rather thorough quality control checking anyway, it was
easy enough to step through the first two levels of the HTML hierarchy,
fix the links that didn't point to a valid index.html (which is
something you all really should take a look at--burning a CD of the LDP
without the fixes can be educational), and modify things like the links
to the on-line journals to point back to the LDP so we could use the
free space to load up the PDF versions of the documents instead of
pointing to ibiblio. The whole process typically took about an hour to
do, with another 30 minutes to an hour for QC. Since we were only doing
this four times a year, at most, it just wasn't worth anyone's time to
fiddle around with trying to automate it. We would still have needed to
do the QC to make sure the script did the right thing, in any case.

The CD's were burned using mkisofs and cdrecord at 4X on an HP CD-ROM
drive under Redhat 7.3. Again, very straightforward.

All in all, I felt it made more sense to take the two hours to do it
right rather than try to just knock it out and get it over with. I
wanted the CD to be as classy and high quality as possible, both for the
LDP and for my own sense of pride. Now, if we'd been burning these on
demand, that would be a different story. If someone does want to attempt
that then a script is the way to go, provided they're willing to do a
good sanity check on each CD to make sure the sands haven't shifted out
from under them while they weren't looking.

However, we will glady make the artwork available in Adobe Photoshop
format to anyone who wants it, since it's not copyrighted by us in any
way. Let me know if you want it and I can zip it up and email it to you.

Sincerely,

John Hughes