discuss: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?

Subject: Re: Staff Election was Re: LDP Committee?
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 8 Mar 2005 08:02:05 -0000

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 07:55:15PM +0000, Martin Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, David Horton wrote:
>
> >I think a vote of confidence or open election is a good
> >idea.  We also need to consider how often elections
> >should be held and what the term limits should be.
>
> I suggest that the Project Leader should be (re)-elected annually.

There are problems with elections.  Who are the voting members?  Anyone
can join the discuss list, even people who know almost nothing about the
LDP and have contributed nothing to it.  Even people opposing free
documentation could join it.  Establishing who can vote would be
complicated.  It's important to know about the candidates before voting
for them.  What if there is no competition?

> Staff/Steering committee members every two years.

We have no Steering Committee.

> And we really need to ensure that the accounts are properly looked after.
> (Note: I'm not suggesting they aren't.)  Who *is* the current Treasurer /
> Accountant, anyway?  (Paul Jones?)

I recently posted an email stating that LDP does not handle money.  We
do have money held in trust for us, however, by Ibiblio (thru Paul Jones).
We currently don't spend any money, except for rental of our domain name
and we've got several years to go before next rent comes due.  I think
there is about $10,000 in our Ibiblio account.  I suggested on the staff
list that it be put in a "safe" mutual fund but nothing came of it.  It
needs to earn interest.  I suggested the Vanguard Inflation Protected
Securities bond fund.  Since it's being held for us, I'm not sure that
we can dictate how to invest it.