discuss: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2005 16:27:22 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:

> My understanding is that The_LDP_Generator creates collections of LDP
> and related documents, but doesn't need a database. I have been looking
> at what the backend requires and a database isn't really on the list
> unless I've missed something. Storing document metadata in an SQL
> database would be a separate project, it isn't necessary to generate
> up-to-the minute snapshots of TLDP.
>
> I saw The_LDP_Generator page as a front end to a PHP or CGI script that

Currently it is purely a mockup of a front-end. The magic behind
is still missing.

> simply assembled the requested collection into some form of package
> (tar.gz, tgz, rpm etc). Then I considered the fact that allowing users
> to randomly run a process on the web server that generates and uploads
> files of up to 600Mb probably isn't a great idea. I imagine it would
> take a while to generate such a file ... and what happens when an
> impatient user hits the "Go" button 10 times in a row?

There are many possibilities in that form still. If it is small
I'd say it can be run off without any more questions. If we are
talking about 50MB or more I'd say the user has to fill in the
text field at the bottom with a good reason, such as being the
editor of a magazine that bundles a CD-ROM.

> I think the snapshots should be pre-generated daily by a cron job or on
> demand by an administrator. End users would then choose one of several
> static files to download as required. The collection might need to be
> broken down into a few "modules" (eg by language and other criteria).
> There are possibly too many options at the moment on The_LDP_Generator
> page.

There is no conflict here. Most users want the same thing which
means we don't even have to use a form. Just a link to, say, a
bittorrnet link that has the latest RPM or PRM patch.

The form is meant for those that have more specific or
unusual selection requirements.

> The whole question of metadata is an interesting one. Metadata could be
> placed inside the original XML documents as XML, sidestepping the need
> for SQL altogether. Given that XML is kinda central to TLDP, maybe we
> should consider this? Sticking with the original XML and using tools
> like XSL is a simpler solution that can still provide database-like
> functionality.

> Tags that could be added would include <keyword> and <license>.

Currently the HOWTO Generator adds metadata in the form of
comment fields. How best to do this could perhaps be the
topic of another librarian sciences project.

>> Yes. This meta-data will be stored in the new database that we are
>> working
>> on. Stein has done an excellent job working on the interface so far:
>>     http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/The_LDP_Generator.html
>>
>> NOTE TO STEIN: Could you please add a section in your tool that will
>> allow
>> people to toggle commercial/non-commercial. Perhaps something like:
>>     [ ] GFDL
>>     [ ] Creative Commons Share Alike 1.0, Attribution Share Alike 2.0
>>     [ ] LDP License
>>     (etc as pulled from the database)

Note received. I need a little time to catch up with everything.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen