discuss: LDP Committee?

Subject: Re: LDP Committee?
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2005 13:22:04 -0000

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> On Sunday,  6 March 2005 at 16:53:13 (+0000), Martin Wheeler wrote:
>> Guylhem -- could you let the list know *where* exactly one can find
>> information on _who_ is staff; _how_ they are chosen to become staff

> Who is staff- big question.  The best definition is "whoever is on the
> staff mailing list".  I don't keep a list, because it also depends on
> the person will to participate to the list.

Sorry, Guylhem -- that's nowhere near good enough.

In fact, it's so damn' pathetic, that I hereby formally request of this
community -- and you, as its unelected group leader -- that a list be
published, illico, of those people who are currently members of the staff
list; an explanation of how they came to be members of the staff list;
and a description of the formal procedures by which any member of this
voluntary community may themselves become a member of the 'staff' list.

Also, a full description of the duties and powers of the LDP 'group
leader'; how one becomes 'group leader'; and what this person's
resonsibilities are.  (Because nowhere is this information publicly
detailed; and it's becoming a festering canker which is preventing the
group from functioning at full efficiency.)

And if you're not prepared to do this, I hereby formally propose to this
community that the so-called 'staff' list be discontinued and disbanded;
that the position and role of group leader be put under scrutiny as to
effectiveness and desirability; and that a now long-overdue and total
re-organisation of the structure and modus operandi of the whole LDP be
undertaken immediately.

> Regarding how one becomes staff, if there is some special need and/or
> someone who appears to be doing good thinks for TLDP, this person is
> invited unless someone from the staff has a good reason to say no.

That's even worse.
So you are telling me that the LDP is run by a bunch of self-appointed
cronies who decide who is to become part of their cabal according to
whether the cut of their jib fits or not?

No way.

Sorry, Guylhem -- this has GOT to change.
It's undemocratic; ad hoc -- and wide open to accusations of abuse.
I've had enough.  And I'm sure many others on the list feel the same way.

>> And what their powers are?
>> How their responsibilities are defined?
>
> Limited. We only take decisions when we think we may need to "impose"
> something for the common good. We haven't been doing that for long.

With what authority?
Vested in you by whom?
Who decides the common good?  A bunch of self-appointed so-called
'representatives'?
(It must be obvious that you don't represent any philosophy of mine.)

Let me quite clear on this -- I consider myself a part of the LDP (even
though I'm no longer actively maintaining any documents); and I would
participate even more actively in the workings of the group if I felt more
comfortable with the way it is organised and run.
I obviously don't feel comfortable at all.

Now can we please have some honest comment and facts; and less of the
"There, there, Nanny knows best" old-boy network attitude, brushing off of
uncomfortable questions and ignoring things and hoping they'll go away.
They won't.

> Then let's find ideas and try to implement them.

I'm trying!  Buddha knows, I'm trying!

>  Discussing things
> in the real life is much easier.

But all we've got at the moment is this mailing list.
So let's use it, shall we?

Sincerely,
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/