discuss: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2005 06:35:09 -0000

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 07:32:01PM -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> True but its important that the authors guide is
> consistent with the manifesto. if the manifesto
> recommends custom licenses and the authors guide
It *allows* custom licenses provided they meet LDP's criteria.
> recommend "Standard" licenses thats a bad thing
>
> > > specifically " You can come up with your own license terms that
> > > satisfy these conditions, or you can use a previously prepared
> > > license"

> > I'm not sure where that text is in the Author Guide...have you
> > copied that from the manifesto?
>
> yes
>
> > The intention is to have the author use: 1) an existing license 2) a
> > simple copyleft-ish statement which basically says, "You may modify
> > this document if you'd like under whatever conditions you see fit."
>

> I have already mentioned this before. We are NOT making it easy for
> distributions if the authors choose custom licenses
Not so.  See below.

> Every custom license will have to be reviewed by someone qualified to
> do it to check whether the document allows commercial redistribution.
> distributions would also like to modify docs if required

Not so. The LDP requirement from the manifesto is that:
   Anyone may copy and distribute (sell or give away) LDP documents (or
   other LDP works) in any media and/or format. No fees are required to
   be paid to the authors. It is not required that the documents be
   modifiable, but it is encouraged.

This obviously allows commercial redistribution.

> If we require standard licenses this problem disappears. Even if it
> doesnt require modifications atleast distributions do not have to go
> through every single document license to check whether it meets their
> criteria for distribution
Not so.  See above.
			David Lawyer