discuss: TLDP Tech

Subject: Re: TLDP Tech
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2005 04:56:52 -0000

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:09:35AM +0930, ####@####.#### wrote:

> The development could be "big picture" (eg. a move to Plone), or
> "incremental" (eg. adding features to the existing site).
>
> Before doing anything, I think we need to resolve at least one fundamental
> question:
>
>    do we use Plone, PHP, or Perl/Python CGI scripts?
>
> Plone is a great platform and would be my own first choice on a dedicated
> server, but the fact is that it is not widely supported by webhosts
> generally. If TLDP is staying with iBiblio (any reason not to?) and
> iBiblio won't do Plone, the issue is more or less settled isn't it? There
> is no point in wishful thinking.

Can plone be made to generate a mostly static website with only a small
part being dynamic where authors and readers post their comments and
authors ask for help in maintaining their docs?  If Plone could be made
to be less resource intensive, perhaps it could be used at ibiblio.

David Merrill did a lot of work programming Lampadas in Python, only to
give it up and switch to Plone.  We just need a complex and extensible
content management system which would handle workflow.  It would be nice
to use something that already exists and only requires a little
programming to tweak it.  By complex, I mean in part that there may be
various opinions about what the status and category a doc is, and
these opinions need to be in the metadata about the doc.

I don't think there is much wrong with our website, except that many of
the docs are out-of-date.  So if we are going to classify and evaluate
docs we need a database to store this info in which has write-access
controls and which hopefully generates the website too.