discuss: TLDP Tech

Subject: Re: TLDP Tech
From: "G Ferguson / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2005 18:53:04 -0000

> I have just sent Stein a Python script that uses XSL to generate a HOWTO
> index page like the one on his prototypes page. It extracts all details
> from a directory full of DocBook XML files.

Mick,

Well, that's all well-and-good, but what about the 50% documents
in TLDP collection that are Linuxdoc? You need to see the big
picture and understand what we are dealing with before writing
scripts, etc. that cannot be effectively used with our document
collection. That may sound harsh,  and I'm not demeaning your
effort (on the contrary, I appreciate you stepping up!)  but there
should be some analysis done first.

I have a perl-based script/parser that produces various lists
of HOWTOs (http://www.tldp.org/sorted_howtos.html and
the links off that page).  It handles DocBook XML/SGML,
LinuxDoc *and* plain HTML (yes, we still have a handful
of HTML-only documents!). I intend to modify the script to
have it produce pages more in-line with Stein's prototype.
It won't take much effort, but I just need to find the time.
Based on this parser, I'm currently also creating a delimited
data file that could serve as the basis for a database.

If you want to work on something, I can come up with some
suggestions -  perhaps we can design a simple database
together for tracking document meta-data/status and
create a prototype (mysql w/perl or php)? I think that would
be a huge step forward with great  benefits to TLDP.

Let me know (you can contact me directly),
--
Greg Ferguson / LDP volunteer