discuss: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2005 13:08:13 -0000

Hi

> In future, can you let me know which document you're
> quoting from? It was
> confusing for me to know what you were talking
> about...It is easiest for
> me if you provide a URL and section heading for
> whatever you're quoting.
> Thanks.

sure but at the moment the manifesto is not entirely
consistent with the authors guide. manifesto suggests
custom licenses. authors guide recommends standard
ones

Do I need to quote from both ?

> Which distrobutions are you referring to? Just in
> general? Or specific
> Linux distros like Debian?

both.

Or something else? As I
> have mentioned before,
> I am more concerned with the individual *authors* at
> this point.

LDP isnt just about the authors thou

As far as
> I know no document has been rejected from a someone
> else's collection of LDP
> documents because of its license. Debian has split
> the documents, but they
> are all still available under either the "free" or
> "non-free" package. Can
> you please clarify if this is not the case?

non-free documents are not packaged into ISO images
drastically reducing their distribution esp in place
where internet access is not available or high priced.
this is the case in India.

I am planning to package LDP documents into fedora
extras and non-free documents wouldnt be available at
all as part of the repository.

They will NOT have to read each document
> though. That would be
> an awful chore!

Ok. I will be able to include GNU FDL, creative
commons  attributions share alike licenses etc which
meet my criteria but I still will have to read any
documents with custom licenses to verify whether they
meet my criteria or not unless the database already
includes the necessary meta data which still would
require someone else to go through the documents

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!