discuss: mailinglist policy/politeness

From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2005 05:10:15 -0000

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 04:54:59PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting David Lawyer ####@####.####
>
> > But it's important to make accurate statements when criticizing someone
> > else.  For example, someone once wrote (on the LDP list) that it had been
> > shown that my understanding of the subject was so deficient that I was
> > in no position to criticize.
>
> (Hmm.  Is there only one LDP list?  I could have sworn I'm subscribed to
> multiple of them.  And what specific subject _is_ "the subject", anyway?)

This was the ldp-l list which is important to have since it contains a
lot of discussion about licenses and might shed some light on the
contents of various old versions of the LDPL license.  But I think the
archives are lost.  The list did have an archive, but where is it?  This
list was killed by Terry Dawson at the end of Aug. 1999.  The discussion
was about the proposed use of the OSD in LDPL.

> FYI:  Searching _this_ list's archive doesn't pull likely matches on
> significant parts of those phrases.
>
> If it turns out that "the LDP list" refers to this one, that "the
> subject" denotes the law of software licensing, and that you're making
> (above) an extremely loose and indirect reference to one of my prior
> posts, I have a couple of questions for you.  Please do elucidate, at
> your convenience.

No, it wasn't a post by you.