discuss: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2005 03:32:31 -0000

Hi

> Please note: I am working on the Author Guide at
> this point, not the
> manifesto.

True but its important that the authors guide is
consistent with the manifesto. if the manifesto
recommends custom licenses and the authors guide
recommend "Standard" licenses thats a bad thing

> > specifically " You can come up with your own
> license
> > terms that satisfy these conditions, or you can
> use a
> > previously prepared license"
>
> I'm not sure where that text is in the Author
> Guide...have you copied that
> from the manifesto?

yes

> The intention is to have the author use:
> 	1) an existing license
> 	2) a simple copyleft-ish statement which basically
> says, "You may
> 	modify this document if you'd like under whatever
> conditions you see
> 	fit."

I have already mentioned this before. We are NOT
making it easy for distributions if the authors choose
custom licenses

Every custom license will have to be reviewed by
someone qualified to do it to check whether the
document allows commercial redistribution.
distributions would also like to modify docs if
required

If we require standard licenses this problem
disappears. Even if it doesnt require modifications
atleast distributions do not have to go through every
single document license to check whether it meets
their criteria for distribution

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram