discuss: modifiability of docs: final decision

Subject: Re: modifiability of docs: final decision
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2005 21:06:15 -0000

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> The next published version of the Author Guide contains the following
> (please excuse the DocBook tags, hopefully everyone can read around them):
>
>       <title>Licensing and Copyright</title>
>       In order for a document to be accepted by the LDP,
>       it must be licensed and conform to the <quote>LICENSE
>       REQUIREMENTS</quote> section of the LDP Manifesto located at <ulink
>       url="http://www.tldp.org/manifesto.html">http://www.tldp.org/manifesto.html</ulink>.
>
>       <para> We recommend using the <ulink
>       url="http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html">GNU Free Documentation
>       License (GFDL)</ulink>, one of the <ulink
>       url="http://www.creativecommons.org/license">Creative Commons
>       Licenses</ulink> (<ulink url="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sa/1.0/">Share-Alike</
> ulink>, or <ulink url="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">Attribution-Share-Alike</
> ulink>), or the LDP license (currently under review). The
>       full text of the license must be included in your document, including
>       the title and version of the license you are using. The LDP will not
>       accept new documents that do not meet licensing requirements.</para>
>
>       <warning>
>          <title>Debian-compatible licenses</title>
> and those with a <quote>non-free</quote> license. For a summary of this list, please read <ulink
> url="http://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/byname">Debian License Summaries</ulink>. Currently the
> Artistic License, BSD License and the GNU General Public License are listed as <quote>free</quote>.
> These licenses will also be accepted by the LDP.</para>
> </warning>
>

> Please let me know if there are additional changes to be made to this
> section.
>
> thanks,
> emma

I noticed that Creative Commons no longer has a Share-Alike license in
version 2.0.  Currently the Attribution-Share-Alike is the most
liberal-looking license they have.  I wonder if Share-Alike 1.0 ran into
any problems.  Perhaps we should push for Creative Commons 2.0 version
licenses and leave out 1.0.  Any ideas?  I'm not a lawyer, I just play
one on TV.  :^)

Dave Horton