discuss: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)

Subject: Re: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2005 20:17:32 -0000

Gareth Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still a plone newbie but have being looking into it and watching
> their mailing list for 6months (ie. my advice isn't that of an
> expert).
>
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:54:43 +0100, Stein Gjoen ####@####.#### wrote:
>

>>I have an interest in this and an idea of what we need but I
>>have no practical knowledge of Plone.
>
> Some parts of Plone (mainly the Zope side) have a very steep learning curve.
> Other parts are quite easy to customise.

Trouble is documentation takes time to get to the point, much
of it reads like marketing, big on buzzwords, low on contents.

>>>Do you have a server on which to set up a trial Plone instance? All that
>>>is really needed to get started is Python (and the Zope/CMF/Plone code of
>>>course) I can run a server with a static IP but it can't run 24/7. I
>>>should find out how the Plone people are going with incorporating
>>>DocBook into
>>>the system (Lampadas is defunct, it is now mainstream Plone stuff).
>>>
>>I have a server in bits and pieces, it will take me some time
>>to put it together. It runs HP-UX 11.00 on HP CPUs.
>
> You also mentioed dropouts?
> Using a system like dyndns (you download client software) will update
> your IP whenever it drops out and you get your connection back :)

I use something like dyndns, set up by my Smoothwall firewall.
Unfortunately restating my connection means physically turning
power on and off to my ADSL modem.

>>>I'm not sure how mirroring would work using a system like Plone (or any
>>>data/script driven system for that matter). Any ideas on that?
>>>
>>Could we have a daily script that dumps contents to a set of
>>static pages for mirroring? It is important to keep dates
>>correct so that mirroring is effecting, rather than total
>>downloads every day.
>
> Static pages are always possible.
> There are several ways you can go about doing that kind of thing.
>
> You can have apache re-write rules so that part of the site is
> effectively outside Plone (ie. it is static :)).
> You can have external files (there are a few mentioned on plone) which
> means that the file info exists in the Zope object database, but the
> file itself exists on the hard drive in the file system (ie. static on
> the filesystem).

What are the advantages of these methods?

> Plone is flexible so you could go so far as to have someone drop in an
> Docbook XML file via FTP and have it automatically converted (python
> scripts calling the correct programs) and then an email sent to
> reviewers to check it or something.
> But that would take a lot of resources and we should stick to the
> simple part for now :)

I definitely prefer to start simple. In the longer term I'd like
to see features such as workflow management and ratings.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen