discuss: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)

Subject: Re: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2005 19:15:53 -0000

Martin Wheeler wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Stein Gjoen wrote:
>
>> I cannot find the URL just now. What we need is one complete package
>> for LinuxDoc and one for DocBook, each with
>> - the software needed
>> - relevant HOWTOs and Guides such as LDP Author Guide
>> - templates
>

> This is not as easy as you may think.
> Mainly because of the multiple ways of skinning a cat that have evolved
> in this area.

True. It is just that the cat skinning process get so messy when
people use incompatible software. For instance there are issues
with jade versus openjade, cannot recall just what it is but it
does surface now and then.

People like choices and Linux is all about that. Also people
like to get started with a known working configuration.

> Because of this problem, I produced a short, sharp, concise (too
> concise?) document giving the very bare bones of essential knowledge,
> and pointers to what is required.
>
> You can find this at:
>
>   http://startext.demon.co.uk/SGMLdocs/SGML-minitutorial.html
>
> (or any of the other incarnations of the same text in the same SGMLdocs
> directory -- .pdf, .txt, .xml etc.)

You list a lot of software systems and while editors are (usually)
compatible I am not so  sure about the transformation software.
A comparison would be nice.

> Feel free to contact me with suggestions for amendments, additions, etc.
> (It was originally written for the local Linux user group as an example
> of single-source document production.)

Should there be more focus on why chosing one processing tool
over others? I don't use DocBook myself so I wonder what others
feel.

> The same site [ http://startext.demon.co.uk/ ] also has a variety of CMS
> systems, wikis, etc. for people to play with.  (Including a working
> Plone, ZMS, etc.)

Plone too? There is a thread about using Plone for developing
a document system for TLDP, does your machine have sufficient
capacity for this development?

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen