discuss: Does TLDP have a mission or vision statement?

Subject: Re: Does TLDP have a mission or vision statement?
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2005 04:34:30 -0000

> > David Horton wrote:
> > > Vision:  The Linux Documentation Project will be recognized as the
> > > authoritative source for Linux documentation.

> I think it would be beneficial to have a vision statement at the top
> of the TLDP home page.  That way any visitors, potential volunteers
> and consumers of documentation will know immediately what we are all
> about.

Good idea.  The same statement, perhaps expanded, should be in the
manifesto.  Then the question remains: What is our vision?  Applications
have their own documentation so we can't be the only source.  Here's
from the manifesto:

   The Linux Documentation Project is working on developing free, high
   quality documentation for the GNU/Linux operating system. The overall
   goal of the LDP is to collaborate in all of the issues of Linux
   documentation. This includes the creation of "HOWTOs" and "Guides". We
   hope to establish a system of documentation for Linux that will be
   easy to use and search. This includes the integration of the manual
   pages, info docs, HOWTOs, and other documents.

   LDP's goal is to create the canonical set of free Linux documentation.

The overall goal (including integration) is very important, but we
haven't been working on it at all in recent years..  Several years ago
LDP helped form a group to work on this it but they never developed an
overall plan and the group fell apart after a key member found a job
and withdrew.