discuss: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)

Subject: Re: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)
From: Gareth Anderson ####@####.####
Date: 5 Mar 2005 00:15:33 -0000

Hi,

I'm still a plone newbie but have being looking into it and watching
their mailing list for 6months (ie. my advice isn't that of an
expert).

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:54:43 +0100, Stein Gjoen ####@####.#### wrote:

> I have an interest in this and an idea of what we need but I
> have no practical knowledge of Plone.

Some parts of Plone (mainly the Zope side) have a very steep learning curve.
Other parts are quite easy to customise.

> > Do you have a server on which to set up a trial Plone instance? All that
> > is really needed to get started is Python (and the Zope/CMF/Plone code of
> > course) I can run a server with a static IP but it can't run 24/7. I
> > should find out how the Plone people are going with incorporating
> > DocBook into
> > the system (Lampadas is defunct, it is now mainstream Plone stuff).
>
> I have a server in bits and pieces, it will take me some time
> to put it together. It runs HP-UX 11.00 on HP CPUs.

You also mentioed dropouts?
Using a system like dyndns (you download client software) will update
your IP whenever it drops out and you get your connection back :)

> > I'm not sure how mirroring would work using a system like Plone (or any
> > data/script driven system for that matter). Any ideas on that?
>
> Could we have a daily script that dumps contents to a set of
> static pages for mirroring? It is important to keep dates
> correct so that mirroring is effecting, rather than total
> downloads every day.

Static pages are always possible.
There are several ways you can go about doing that kind of thing.

You can have apache re-write rules so that part of the site is
effectively outside Plone (ie. it is static :)).
You can have external files (there are a few mentioned on plone) which
means that the file info exists in the Zope object database, but the
file itself exists on the hard drive in the file system (ie. static on
the filesystem).

Plone is flexible so you could go so far as to have someone drop in an
Docbook XML file via FTP and have it automatically converted (python
scripts calling the correct programs) and then an email sent to
reviewers to check it or something.
But that would take a lot of resources and we should stick to the
simple part for now :)

Regards,
Gareth