discuss: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)

Subject: Re: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 4 Mar 2005 15:57:28 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:

>> Have a look at my prototype page at
>>     http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html
>> One of the two generators there is a mock-up for defining what
>> parts of the collection you want, how you want it and then start
>> downloading it. Making it work for real would be nice.
>

> I've had a look at The LDP Collection Generator and the Table of HOWTOs.
>
> GENERATOR
>
> I think the Generator would be relatively straightforward provided all
> the tools required were on the server. Do you see the end product as a
> RPM/DEB/TGZ, or simply a compressed archive of some kind?

The Collection Generator is a mockup for illustrating the general
points so I guess I should update it soon with more details and
specifics. I see end product as two cases:
  - a compressed archive that is defined, downloaded
   and then unpacked in a private directory for further
   modifications and customisation for, say, inclusion
   on a magazine CD-ROM
  - a package (RPM, DEB, TGZ) for installing into a new
   or existing distribution

These archives should hopefully be designed to comply with the
LDP File Hierarchy Standard
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/LFH.txt

> Do you have any preferences for language (Perl/Python/PHP)? Perl/Python
> would probably be CGI, PHP would probably be an Apache module.

I have no language preferences. I am however very glad to hear
you consider this straightforward.

> I think we could keep the current HTML page and send the form data to a
> separate script.

A little update wold probably be in order, I hope others can take a
look to see if anything is missing. Early version will probably not
feature all possibilities (such as RFC and TR) but I believe it is
important to start early and start simple and then add features in
a controlled manner over time.

For instance it would be useful to be able to download a patch
from an earlier version, perhaps based on weekly baselines. This
has many benefits:
  - easier selection
  - smaller download, simpler installation/update
  - significantly less bandwidth requirements

> Generation could all happen dynamically on-demand, or maybe one set of
> downloads could be generated daily/hourly. The best way to go would
> depend on how many downloads occurred daily (the more downloads, the
> more sense static pre-generated files would make).
>
> TABLE
>
> I'm curious how this table is generated. I can imagine XSL, SQL, perl
> script and manual methods.

I guess this is the The Document Index and Download Page:
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/doc_index.html

This version is generated by hand, another mockup that underneath a
nice interface is in reality ugly as sin. I had to make a version
that offended my senses a little less, using simple JavaScript:
	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/doc_index_v2.html

Again it was manual but also less painful. It should be simpler
to automate. Equally important it is requires far less
bandwidth: For 3 entries we have 4.8 KB vs. 6.3 KB.

Also this one should be updated with a number of things:
  - feedback/rating method: no agreement on this yet
  - keywords: not implemented yet
  - categories: should be added, a HOWTO can have up to 3 categories
  - formats: we need an agreement on what formats we wish to provide

With more discussions I am sure others will add more. Still I
hope we can start simple and continue from there.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen