discuss: part of the review?

Subject: Re: part of the review?
From: Dan York ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jul 2001 17:11:54 -0000

David,

> Can we please just `highly recommend' docbook, and make sure authors
> know their documents may not wind up fully supported in the
> distributions. The indexing and cataloging being done by kde and gnome
> only handles docbook, so other formats won't be fully supported. If an
> author likes linuxdoc enough to accept that, let them.

Agreed.

> I agree with you, Poet, that docbook is far superior to linuxdoc. and
> it's *not* harder to write. The 200+ tags are imposing, but in reality

There is the added benefit that the *XML* tools are currently
undergoing a great amount of development and are, in my opinion,
rapidly moving to where they will exceed the capabilities of the
traditional SGML tools.  libxslt (http://www.xmlsoft.org/XSLT/ ) is
a great example.  Download and install two RPMs (libxml2 and libxslt)
and you've got a command 'xsltproc' that is already faster than
openjade (in my tests) and they are working on making it even faster
(so that within the GNOME project they can do on-the-fly rendering of
DocBook XML into HTML).

So moving to DocBook SGML will set people up to be able to make use
of the DocBook XML tools as they become increasingly available.

> The *tools* are the bitch, and the docbook processor removes that
> problem. Very few people are using it, which means either people
> aren't having as much trouble as we thought with their tools, or it
> isn't publicized enough.

I think the latter.  How is it being publicized?

> I'd like to point out that our docbook % has gone from:
<snip>
> I keep these statistics, and all other stats, on a weekly basis.

Cool stats!  Are they anywhere online? (like a page on the LDP site?)

Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        ####@####.####
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739