discuss: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)

Subject: Re: Resources for TLDP (was: Re: TLDP and the COmmercial World)
From: ####@####.####
Date: 4 Mar 2005 08:20:31 -0000

> Have a look at my prototype page at
> 	http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/tarpl.html
> One of the two generators there is a mock-up for defining what
> parts of the collection you want, how you want it and then start
> downloading it. Making it work for real would be nice.

I've had a look at The LDP Collection Generator and the Table of HOWTOs.

GENERATOR

I think the Generator would be relatively straightforward provided all the
tools required were on the server. Do you see the end product as a
RPM/DEB/TGZ, or simply a compressed archive of some kind?

Do you have any preferences for language (Perl/Python/PHP)? Perl/Python
would probably be CGI, PHP would probably be an Apache module.

I think we could keep the current HTML page and send the form data to a
separate script.

Generation could all happen dynamically on-demand, or maybe one set of
downloads could be generated daily/hourly. The best way to go would depend
on how many downloads occurred daily (the more downloads, the more sense
static pre-generated files would make).

TABLE

I'm curious how this table is generated. I can imagine XSL, SQL, perl
script and manual methods.

Mick