discuss: LDP Committee?

Subject: Re: LDP Committee?
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 4 Mar 2005 04:33:45 -0000

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:35:11PM +0000, Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > > I think Rahul brought up the issue of forming an LDP
> > > committee a while back.
> >
> > I brought up the idea of a foundation not a committee.
> > The important difference is the  ability to receive
> > funds. Correct me if I am wrong about that.

Your right.  But at present, Ibiblio is holding our funds for us as a
trustee.  So we can still have funds anyway but can't hold them
directly.

> AFAIK there is a TLDP staff, and there are funds as well.  Guylhem
> Aznar knows about those things.

Incorporating itself would be simple but once we become a corporation,
things get more complex with a board of directors which needs to meet
periodically, election of the board, etc.  How would we determine who
are members?  It's important to prevent any takeover by people who might
like to exploit LDP documents such as placing ads in them.
Incorporation makes it more explicit on how to misuse LDP and could
hinder change.  Often people get on boards that have little experience
with the day-to-day operation of the organization and thus make bad
decisions for it.