discuss: Does TLDP have a mission or vision statement?

Subject: Re: Does TLDP have a mission or vision statement?
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2005 19:30:25 -0000

David Horton wrote:

> Usually mission and vision statements are more succinct, summing things
> up in one or two sentences.  Something like this:
>
> Vision:  The Linux Documentation Project will be recognized as the
> authoritative source for Linux documentation.
>
> Mission: The Linux Documentation Project strives to provide
> high-quality, free documentation on a variety of subjects related to
> Linux-based operating systems.
>
> Vision is where you want to be in the future, mission is what you are
> working on now.

I think something like that would be useful in the About TLDP-section
and in a press-kit which we are also missing.

> Do we have anything like this?  I think it would be helpful to put
> something together if we do not.

The manifesto has been mentioned but vision and mission could be
the two first sections of it. The advantage is that many look for
such items and it is useful to have it.

Mission statements can often have a Dilbert-like quality to them,
I hope we can have useful ones without buzzword compliance.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen